Howard Israel, DDS
Adjunct Professor, Course Director Pain and Anxiety Control
- Office: Rm 423
Dr. Howard Israel is known nationally and internationally for his clinical research and expertise in the field of temporomandibular joint disorders, surgery and arthroscopy. He has authored many manuscripts and chapters and lectured extensively on these topics. In addition, he has played a major role in the discovery and recognition of the Nazi origins of a famous classic anatomy book, Pernkopf's Anatomy, which has led to many other discoveries and issues surrounding biomedical ethics.
He will give a presentation on the discovery of the Nazi Origins of Pernkopf's Anatomy in April, 2018 at the Yom Hashoah Commemoration at New York Medical College.
Dr. Howard Israel received a BS in Biology from the State University of New York at Albany and a DDS from Columbia University School of Dental & Oral Surgery in 1977. He completed his residency in general dentistry at St. Luke’s Hospital Center in New York City and advanced specialty training in Oral Maxillofacial Surgery in 1991 from East Orange Veterans Administration Medical Center in New Jersey.
In addition to his appointment in 2017 at TouroCDM, Dr. Israel has been Professor of Clinical Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College in New York City since 2000, and was Professor of Clinical Dentistry at Columbia University School of Dental and Oral Surgery in New York City from 1983 until 2000. He also teaches oral pathology and surgery at the New York Institute of Clinical Oral Pathology in New York City.
Dr. Israel is affiliated with New York Presbyterian Hospital, Weil Cornell Medical Center and held faculty practices at Columbia from 1983 until 2000, Weill Cornell from 2000 until present, and a private practice in Great Neck from 2000 until 2016.
Memberships and Affiliations:
- American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- New York State Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Society of Temporomandibular Joint Surgeons
Pain and Anxiety Control, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Curriculum, Touro College of Dental Medicine, May 2017-Present
NY Institute of Clinical Oral Pathology, Arthroscopic TMJ Surgery, Clinical Research, Weill Cornel Medical College 2000-Present
- Does Patient Age Affect the Outcome of TMJ Arthroscopy? Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 2017
- Internal derangement of the TMJ, New Perspectives on an Old Problem, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics of North America, 2016
- The Essential Role of the Otolaryngologist in the Diagnosis and Management of Temporomandibular Disorders and Chronic Orofacial Pain, Otolaryngology Clinics of North America, 2017