Touro Dental Health Provides Free Back-to-School Dental Services for Kids, Dental Health Tips
Free dental exams and cleanings available for new pediatric patients through October 1.
HAWTHORNE, NY – July 31, 2018 – Just in time for school, Touro Dental Health, Touro College of Dental Medicine's (TCDM) new 81-chair clinical training facility and full-service dental practice, is offering kids of all ages a free comprehensive exam and cleaning on their first visit. New patients, from babies through age of 17, are eligible for the back-to-school” special until October 1.
“While regular dental visits are important year round, seeing a dental professional during the back-to-school season is vital in helping to address one of children’s most common chronic infections – tooth decay,” said Melissa Levine, D.D.S., Director of Pediatric Dentistry at TCDM. “If left untreated, cavities can lead to pain, trouble eating, difficulty concentrating and, potentially, school absences. Our new program helps ensure that every child has the opportunity to have a check up and start the school year off right.”
Touro Dental Health is a 32,000-square-foot dental training facility located on the campus of New York Medical College designed to deliver an advanced educational experience as well as provide affordable, accessible dental care to residents throughout the Hudson Valley.
The practice provides a full range of dental care for both children and adults and is open Monday through Thursday, from 9:00AM to 5:00PM and on Fridays from 9:00AM to 3:00PM, except during school closures. To make an appointment, call 914-594-2700 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TIPS FOR KIDS DENTAL HEALTH DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR
Back-to-school season is the perfect time to incorporate smarter dental habits into a kid’s routine. In addition to scheduling a check-up and cleaning before the busy school season begins, here are some tips for a happy and healthy school year:
- When packing your children’s lunch, avoid anything sticky. While raisins and "fruit snacks" might seem like a healthy option, these sugary foods will stay stuck to the teeth for unnecessarily long periods of time and can lead to cavities.
- When drinking fruit juice or soda, encourage the use of a straw. This minimizes sugary or acidic liquid coming in contact with teeth.
- When it comes to snacking, it’s not just about the kind of snack, but the frequency. One large snack is preferable to multiple small snacks throughout the day because it limits instances of acidic erosion.
- If your kids are on the baseball or soccer team, make sure you invest in a mouth guard to help prevent oral injuries. While a custom fitting mouthguard is ideal and can be made by some dentists, a store-bought mouth guard is better than nothing – especially for elementary and middle school kids whose teeth may still be changing.
- Brushing twice a day- morning and night- is always recommended. Parents of children under the age of seven should help their children brush as they have not yet developed the dexterity to adequately brush themselves.
The Touro College and University System
Touro is a system of non-profit institutions of higher and professional education. Touro College was chartered in 1970 primarily to enrich the Jewish heritage, and to serve the larger American and global community. Approximately 19,200 students are currently enrolled in its various schools and divisions. Touro College has 30 campuses and locations in New York, California, Nevada, Berlin, Jerusalem and Moscow. New York Medical College; Touro University California and Touro University Nevada; Touro University Worldwide and its Touro College Los Angeles division; as well as Hebrew Theological College in Skokie, Ill. are separately accredited institutions within the Touro College and University System. For further information on Touro College, please go to: www.touro.edu/news
Touro College of Dental Medicine
The mission of the Touro College of Dental Medicine at New York Medical College is to graduate outstanding dental professionals who will utilize a complex knowledge base and sophisticated perceptual skills to deliver excellent health care service to their diverse communities with integrity, compassion, and empathy. The school is dedicated to conducting important educational and clinical research, while providing excellent dental health services to the public.