Jerry L. Halpern, D.D.S.
Clinical Associate Professor of Dental Medicine
Touro College of Dental Medicine
Dr. Jerry Halpern is a Clinical Associate Professor of Dental Medicine at the Touro College of Dental Medicine (TCDM). He is a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon, and also serves on the faculty of New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center, where he teaches clinical oral and maxillofacial surgery. Dr. Halpern is also an Assistant Attending Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, where for more than 23 years, he has operated, cared for the special oral and dental needs of cancer patients and taught fellows in the center’s maxillofacial prosthetic and dental oncology programs. He is also currently a forensic odontologist for the office for the chief medical examiner of New York City and is part of the Medical Examiner Special Operation Team; for this work, Dr. Halpern has been recognized by the city, state and House of Representatives.
Over the course of his career, Dr. Halpern has received numerous awards and has published and presented on topics ranging from oral cancer reconstruction to dental forensic identification. For almost a decade, he has dedicated his time to helping the children of Fundación MIR in La Romana, Dominican Republic. This humanitarian outreach program developed into the World of Smiles non-profit organization of which he is president. In 2018, Dr. Halpern was the recipient of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (AAOMS) Humanitarian Award for Fellows and Members for his outreach efforts in the Dominican Republic. In 2010, Dr. Halpern received the AAOMS Presidential Achievement Award, which honors AAOMS fellows and members who have made significant long-term contributions to the specialty. Dr. Halpern has also been recognized for helping identify victims of the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center and the crash of American Airlines Flight 587 in 2001, for which he received a Congressional Certificate of Recognition. He is licensed to practice in the state of New York.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- B.S., Biology, Fairleigh Dickinson University
- D.D.S., Howard University College of Dentistry
- General Practice Residency, New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency, New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center
Memberships and Affiliations
- American College of Dentists
- New York State Society of Oral and axillofacial Surgeons
- American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Dental Association
- New York Academy of Dentistry
- American Association of Forensic Sciences
- Office of the Chief Medical Examiner of the City of New York
- New York Society of Forensic Dentistry
- New York State Dental Association
- New York County Dental Society
- World of Smiles, President