Howard Israel, D.D.S.
Clinical Professor of Dental Medicine
Touro College of Dental Medicine
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Dr. Israel received a BS in Biology from the State University of New York at Albany and a DDS from Columbia University School of Dental & Oral Surgery in 1977. He completed his residency in general dentistry at St. Luke’s Hospital Center in New York City and advanced specialty training in Oral Maxillofacial Surgery in 1991 from East Orange Veterans Administration Medical Center in New Jersey.
Areas of Expertise
Diagnosis and management of TMJ; Orofacial Pain Disorders
In addition to his teaching role as a Clinical Professor of Dental Medicine, Dr. Howard Israel also established TCDM's Center for Advanced Temporomandibular Joint Arthroscopy. In this role, he works closely with a team of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons and student dentists to treat patients with severe TMJ disease and performs this minimally invasive procedure with sedation provided by a dental anesthesiologist.
Dr. Israel is known nationally and internationally for his clinical and research expertise in the field of temporomandibular joint disorders (TMJ) and specializes in temporomandibular arthroscopic surgery, diagnosis and management of head, facial and oral chronic pain. He has authored many manuscripts and chapters and lectured extensively on these topics. In addition, he has played a major role in the discovery and recognition of the Nazi origins of a famous classic anatomy book, Pernkopf's Anatomy, which has led to many other discoveries and issues surrounding biomedical ethics.
Prior to joining TCDM in 2017, Dr. Israel was Professor of Clinical Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College in New York City since 2000 until present, and Professor of Clinical Dentistry at Columbia University School of Dental and Oral Surgery in New York City from 1983 until 2000. He also teaches oral pathology and surgery at the New York Institute of Clinical Oral Pathology in New York City. He is affiliated with New York Presbyterian Hospital, Weil Cornell Medical Center and held faculty practices at Columbia from 1983 until 2000, Weill Cornell from 2000 until present, and a private practice in Great Neck from 2000 until 2016.
- Does Patient Age Affect the Outcome of TMJ Arthroscopy? Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 2017
- Internal derangement of the TMJ, New Perspectives on an Old Problem, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics of North America, 2016
- The Essential Role of the Otolaryngologist in the Diagnosis and Management of Temporomandibular Disorders and Chronic Orofacial Pain, Otolaryngology Clinics of North America, 2017
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- New York State Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Society of Temporomandibular Joint Surgeons
- Pain and Anxiety Control, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Curriculum