Howard Israel, D.D.S.
Clinical Professor of Dental Medicine
Touro College of Dental Medicine
Areas of Expertise
Diagnosis and management of TMJ; Orofacial Pain Disorders
Dr. Howard Israel is a Clinical Professor of Dental Medicine and Director of Orofacial Pain at the Touro College of Dental Medicine (TCDM). In this role, he works closely with a team of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons and student dentists at TCDM's Center for Advanced Temporomandibular Joint Arthroscopy to treat patients with severe TMJ disease and performs this minimally invasive procedure with sedation provided by a dental anesthesiologist. Dr. Israel is known nationally and internationally for his clinical and research expertise in the field of temporomandibular joint disorders (TMJ) and specializes in temporomandibular arthroscopic surgery, diagnosis and management of head, facial and oral chronic pain. He has authored many manuscripts and chapters and lectured extensively on these topics.
Dr. Israel is regarded as an important voice in bioethics for his key role in the discovery and recognition of the Nazi origins of the famous classic anatomy book, Pernkopf's Anatomy, leading to many other discoveries and issues surrounding biomedical ethics. In addition to his current teaching responsibilities at TCDM, he is currently an Adjunct Professor of Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College and was a Professor of Clinical Surgery at the college from 2001 to 2018. Just prior to joining TCDM in 2017, he served as Professor of Clinical Dentistry at Columbia University School of Dental and Oral Surgery in New York City. Dr. Israel also teaches oral pathology and surgery at the New York Institute of Clinical Oral Pathology in New York City. He is affiliated with New York Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Cornell Medical Center and held faculty practices at Columbia. Dr. Israel was previously in private practice on Long Island from 2000 until 2016 and is licensed to practice in the state of New York.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- B.S., Biology, State University of New York at Albany
- D.D.S., Columbia University School of Dental & Oral Surgery
- General Practice Residency, St. Luke’s Hospital Center in New York City
- Certification in Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, East Orange Veterans Administration Medical Center
Howard Israel, D.D.S., Internal derangement of the TMJ, New Perspectives on an Old Problem, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics of North America (August 2016).
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- New York State Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Society of Temporomandibular Joint Surgeons
- Pain and Anxiety Control, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Curriculum